Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Welcome!

Well, since every else is doing it...

This blog will be less about my personal life, and more about things that I find interesting. There are billions of webpages out there, and no way to sample even a faction of them. But, as I "stumble upon" things, I'll put them here and maybe guide you to things that you will find interesting or useful.

I'm an "old fogie" of computers -- started in 1974 with teletypes over modems to a mainframe (HP2000C runing timeshare BASIC), other mainframe systems (CDC Cyber).

Eventually, I started programming microcomputers (notably Teraks in UCSD Pascal) and an S-100 bus system with a Seattle Computer Products board set (using SCP DOS version 0.1, serial number 11!).

After college, I worked at IBM, programming the space shuttle (which isn't the great job it sounds like), and later wound up doing anti-virus programming on the IBM-PC.

As time passed, I got out of PC programming and entered the embedded software world, which is actually surprisingly close to programming an IBM-PC in assembly -- you have complete control of the system, and have to worry about what is going on in hardware at the microsecond level.

No comments: