Tuesday, May 26, 2009

People are slime...

or another word starting with 's'.

I was hoping to write a really different blog today, but reality got in the way.

A couple of weeks ago, my wife and I took in a stray cat from the streets that a friend told us about -- a pregnant female. She was called "Mona", because her meow sounded like she was moaning.

The next day we got her to the vet. Nope not pregnant. Not even close. "Mona" was a neutered boy...

Cleaned up, dewormed, treated for fleas, "Mona" was now "Moe." And we took him out for his first "cat pimping" outing. At Petsmart, he looked pretty in the playpen and was active. One couple almost adopted him, but he lost out to a snowshoe siamese lap cat.

The next weekend, I was doing other things, and didn't take the foster babies out.

Then, last Tuesday, a woman looking through at the Stray Cat Blues website sent an email, saying that she was almost certain that Moe was her lost cat, Bentley. And her 4 year old daughter missed her cat.

I sent her more pictures. We made arrangements that I would bring Moe to Petsmart on Saturday, and she would come and positively identify Moe.

On Saturday, I was eager and waiting. But, an hour after she said she would be there, nothing yet. Call and leave voicemail (including phone number). Wait more hours. Try calling again (went to voicemail, but leaving 1 was enough). After a full day there, Moe was going home with me, and nobody had stopped in to see if Moe was their lost cat.

It's now Tuesday. Still no email or phone. If I thought I had found a lost cat, especially one that was a 4 year old daughters pet, I would make damned sure that I checked it out. And if I looked closely at the pictures and decided that this really wasn't the cat, I would at least let the people know that.

As part of cat rescue, we've seen just about everything, including cats thrown out a 4th story window. This is minor in comparison.

People are slime...

No comments: