Friday, August 28, 2009

Kids stuff and old age...

Yesterday I told you about a website (which links to the websites authors blog) full of space art of yesteryear, aimed at children.

I've spent some time looking at his collection, and I find that it makes me quite sad.

I remember some of this from when I was young. Some crude, some wonderful (thank you, Chesley Bonestell). All of it the stuff of dreams.

And I can look at today's space art -- beautifully rendered, with real space photographs as backgrounds. But the soul is gone.

We (as a people) used to dream of the future. Show it to our children and ignite their hopes and imaginations.

Today it seems that we no longer look forward and outward, we just distract ourselves with something shiny and never look behind the curtain.

No comments: