Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Fannish Express...

when it absolutely, positively has to get there eventually.

Yah, it's a Fan joke. It's actually fairly common for fans to give something to another fan on their way to a convention, to be passed off at the convention.

No, I didn't do any of this at Anticiption, but an incident there made me think of it.

My wife and I used backpacks to carry stuff around the convention. Very convenient.

On the last day, my wife and I packed our luggage, and started to relax before driving back on Tuesday. After a bit, I realized that I hadn't left my "currently reading" book out for the evening. Looking around, I couldn't find it anywhere in the hotel room.

I almost never lose things, but it can happen. I know I was reading it before my last panel on Monday, so I went back to the Palis to see if I had left it there.

The convention was over, and the place was being cleaned. Went to the room of the panel, not there. Check the chair in the hall where I had been reading it. Not there.

Head down to the information / lost & found table. Nobody there, but there was someone at the nearby table. Lost and found has moved to ConOps at a hotel a few blocks away. Sorry, too busy to call and see if they have it.

So, I walk to the other hotel. I find that Lost & Found was being run by a friend of mine (Hi, Reg!) but she had not see it. But she did suggest that if one of the Palis workers had found it, it would be in their lost and found. So, go back to the Palis and try to find a security guard.

It's getting deserted as the teardown continues. I walk towards the last panel room, thinking that if a worker had found it, it would most likely be someone who's station is in that area. Finally find someone (a waiter pushing a cart, but at least he works for the Palis) and ask him where L & F is.

However, this is overheard by a fan working cleanup. She found a book, check with the people at the end of the hall.

Yup, they have it. They were on their way to ConOps. I intercepted them just in time, otherwise it would have been ships crossing in the night.

All is known to Fans, but it might take a while to find it...

No comments: