Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Movie Overload 2...

Two more days, two more movies (for me... my wife has been busier than I've been).

The Chaser, a Korean action movie, was pretty good. It might have been tightened up a bit, but that would have resulted in almost continual action (the "boring" stuff gets cut...). Definately not a US movie, they avoided the "happy ending" for one character that is pretty much manditory for a US movie. However, the screenwriter does one thing that I'm finding more and more annoying every time I see it.

When the "bad guy" is down in a fight, FINISH THE JOB so that they do not get up again. You don't put a rabid dog on the floor and turn your back on it. Anyone who ever did this in real life would ONLY DO IT ONCE BEFORE THEY LEARNED, and for it to happen again and again in movies (even though everyone has seen movies where it happens) makes things annoying, not suspenseful.

The Magic Hour is a Japanese comedy, a US 1930's gangster movie set in modern day japan. Yes, it sounds silly. Yes, it is silly. It might have been tightened up (they didn't need to make the same joke several times, even though it was always funny), but it was a a very funny movie and well worth seeing.

My wife also saw 3 more movies. A documentary (Art and Copy), a collecion of shorts about women (My Voice is My Sword) and an Italian drama (A Game for Girls), all of which she enjoyed.

No comments: