Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Disk Rot...

Well, despite my warnings to others about software vanishing and keeping "old bits" around, I find that I've been bitten...

I'm doing some cleaning in the computer room (getting rid of old junk), and looked in a CD wallet that contains archives of my development work. The disks are succumbing to disk rot -- when I opened the sleeves in the wallet, they took the aluminum layer with them. Oops...

I think this was an interaction between that particular brand of CD and the plastic of the disk sleeve, since other CDs in the same wallet are fine.

Fortunately, I made multiple copies. On CD's from different companies. Stored in different locations and methods (CD wallets vs jewel cases).

I haven't lost anything, but that's just because I'm paranoid about such things. But not everyone is...

No comments: