Friday, November 13, 2009

Personal computing history (part 7)

Despite what we could do with virus scan/removal, the company I worked for (names withheld to protect the guilty^H^H^H^H^H^Hinnocent^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hno one in particular) was losing it's customer base. We did not have a standout "Windows" program, and the business shrank.

Eventually, it folded.

I took a temporary job doing support work (that stretched to a year and a half, I'm lucky that I got out of there without it being permanent).

There was the "dot-com" boom, where I put in my time with a web startup (they were doing tech support via web interface, and wanted a virus scan component). They wound up with most of the rest of them...

Looking around, I remembered what a friend of mine had told me years ago -- that my skills were a good match for embedded programming. So I went after jobs there.

He was right -- while I had to get "up to speed" on the particular embedded controllers, my experience in assembly language and programming in C right down to the bare metal of the computer was just what they were looking for.

I settled in for the long haul...

No comments: